Monday, January 21, 2013

A pound of flesh...

"Its a boy, again! How I wish I had a girl. My own doll", she says.

"We want a boy", chorus the newly wed, "Someone to do my last rites and light my path to heaven", adds the "traditional" groom while his coy bride smiles on.

"This year to the girl child", announces the man in power.

" We've tried almost all the best infertility clinics in town. This one is our last resort", sigh the couple.

" How dare the government talk to us about birth control. Let us propogate our kind", exhorts the religious head, all sound and fury.

In between all this cacophony, the little whimper is almost inaudible. Now, it is louder. Now it is feeble. And, now it is gone. Call it the innocent victim of a man's lust or maybe a woman's mirth. Call it a 'could've been happy baby', 'would've grown up soul' or maybe just a to be rotten 'pound of flesh' in the communal dustbin.

1 comment:

Priya Sreeram said...

profound ! sad but true